In today's episode, we interview Erika Austhof, an epidemiologist at the University of Arizona College of Public Health. She has spent the last year advocating for weight-neutrality in COVID-19 research and ending weight-stigma in public health. She is also a past client of mine and we talk about her history with disordered eating and body shame and how she was able to make peace with both food & body.
Topics we cover:
- Weight bias in research and how to advocate for change
- weight stigma and COVID-19 (myths about BMI and health outcomes)
- What actually determines health (hint: it's way more than just what you eat and how much you exercise)
- Overcoming internalized fatphobia and hating your body
- How to leave behind Diet Culture and choose yourself!