In this episode, we talk about the massacre of eleven Jews during Shabbat services at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh.
We discuss the right-wing rhetoric--starting with the president--that currently encourages intolerance, racism, anti-Semitism. We talk about how to discuss anti-Semitism with children without also scaring them unnecessarily. And we talk about why the argument that "this was about anti-religiosity" isn't just foolish but also immoral in that it seeks to erase Jews from the narrative.
**_If you want to support the show financially--for as little as $1 per month--please visit our [Patreon Page](https://www.patreon.com/impolitecompanypodcast) to become a monthly patron. We're putting together plans for an audio documentary about campaigns and religion, and your help could free us up to concentrate on it and other show projects._**
Discussed This Week (including resources for discussing the Tree of Life massacre and anti-semitism generally with children):
* [How to Talk to Children About Anti-Semitism](https://pjlibrary.org/beyond-books/pjblog/february-2017/how-to-talk-to-children-about-anti-semitism) (PJ Library)
* [4 Steps for Talking to Kids About the Pittsburgh Synagogue Shooting](https://www.kveller.com/4-steps-for-talking-to-kids-about-the-pittsburgh-synagogue-shooting/) (Sivan Zakai, Kveller)
* [Empowering Young People in the Aftermath of Hate](https://www.adl.org/education/resources/tools-and-strategies/empowering-young-people-in-the-aftermath-of-hate-in) (Anti-Defamation League)
* [What Jewish Schools are Telling Students About the Pittsburgh Shooting](https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2018/10/jewish-schools-pittsburgh-shooting/574351/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=atlantic-daily-newsletter&utm_content=20181030&silverid-ref=MzEwMTU3MTkxMDAzS0) (Joe Pinsker, The Atlantic)
* [How Trump and Republicans wield the politics of victimhood](https://pjlibrary.org/beyond-books/pjblog/february-2017/how-to-talk-to-children-about-anti-semitism) (Paul Waldman, Washington Post)
Podden och tillhörande omslagsbild på den här sidan tillhör Nish Weiseth and Amy Sullivan. Innehållet i podden är skapat av Nish Weiseth and Amy Sullivan och inte av, eller tillsammans med, Poddtoppen.